Director of Health Service
The TMA Director of Health Service / School Nurse is a Registered Nurse who provides health services to students and employees during the school day with the goal of maximizing academic and spiritual growth through ministering to physical needs. Student health, safety and promotion of a healthy learning environment are her primary concerns.
The school nurse is authorized to make medical referrals for illnesses or injuries that occur during school hours only. For illnesses or injuries that occur away from school, please contact your physician for medical assistance. The school nurse cannot make a medical diagnosis.
The School Nurse:
- provides nursing care for injuries and illnesses which occur during school hours
- administers physician prescribed and over the counter medications provided by parents during school hours
- provides care for students with diabetes, asthma, severe allergies, seizures and other special health concerns
- develops Individualized Health Plans as needed
- monitors student medical records for compliance with state law and school policy
- serves as a liaison between students, parents, teachers, administrators and health care providers